HOME OTM GUIDE WANT ADS CBOX LOG OUT

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Closed
New Poll

The Wonders of Poffins~, session one
Pryde de Leon
 Posted: May 3 2018, 12:21 PM
Pryde de Leon
|| he/him
years old
Student Professor
Pryde de Leon
is Offline.

http://www.pkparaiso.com/imagenes/xy/sprites/animados/zoroark.gif
Yuu
[Royal Blue.]

http://www.pkparaiso.com/imagenes/xy/sprites/animados/ursaring.gif
Kenai
[Sienna.]

Patience: “Deep Pink.”

Pryde: “Purple.”

Pryde actually preferred teaching about poffins, if he was being honest. It was a fun little hobby, something that he wanted to do for a while and, if he was being asked to do classes on the weekend, he would do one for something he actually liked doing. Granted, his poffins were nowhere as wonderful as his sister’s, but he did know how to make pokemon safe cupcakes and that was what he liked doing the most.

But, since his sister was in town anyways and she was a renowned poffin maker, he figured bringing her would be a great idea. She knew the little secrets for poffins, how to add extra ingredients and how to better integrate the innate flavors of the berries.

He was regretting his decision now.

“Patience, I swear to all that is holy, if you do not stop messing with my cupcake decorations I will let Ali and valentine call you ‘Auntie Patty.’”

The woman gasped. “You wouldn’t.”

Pryde gave a solemn nod. “Oh, I would, and I will. Now leave my things alone and go worry about your own.” He looked over at his pokemon who were busy snacking on the poffins his sister had brought.

“You know, we should do these classes more often. I’m sure they would just love them, and look! Even Yuu looks happy, don’t you, you little cutie pie?”

Yuu beamed as Kenai shoved more cupcakes in his mouth.

“You’re going to get a stomach ache you two--slow down on the sweets,” Pryde said. He arranged each of the four prep tables, making sure the berries were where they were supposed to be, as well as the name tags.

Patience placed a small pitcher of juice on each table as well as a little plate with cupcakes and even a perfect little poffin. “Alright. Tables are set, berries are ready, and we will be having students soon! I am so excited, Pryde,” she said, pinching his cheek. “My baby brother, all grown up teaching, you’re so adorable!”

Yes. Pryde was beginning to regret his decision.

REMEMBER: Socializing is a great way to earn extra cash, affection, and rewards. Introduction posts will need to be posted by Sunday the Sixth at 11:59 pm, since these are intros and whatnot.

There will be a final optional section of the class for decorating after the baking, but you are in no means required to stay for it. It would only last three days and will have some rewards as well, but it is NOT necessary.
PM
^
Endora Wilkerson
 Posted: May 5 2018, 10:41 AM
Endora Wilkerson
23 || She / Her
23 years old
Grad Student Coordinator
Poison / Ghost
Bahgera
is Offline.

• Oleander
    Lv. 07
    Chlorophyll

This was not going to end well. She absolutely knew it, with every breath and every erratic beat in her chest. Poffins, and baking in general, were one of the few things that Endora simply could not get a grasp on. She could cook just fine, on the stove. Somehow, though, when an oven was added into the mix, things went haywire. Supposedly fool proof recipes were discovered to not, in fact, be Endora proof. There had been more than one kitchen ban because of it. Unfortunately, pokemon food usually involved baking, and poffins especially were important. As a coordinator, they were the best option as far as treats and the purchasing of them was never easy. Or garunteed. There had been a few occasions where the promised 'fresh and delicious' was anything but.

So she really needed to learn how to do this herself. Hopefully without destroying anything in the process.

There was one more check to make sure she was in clothes that she wouldn't mind ruining, because she was honest with herself and that was a distinctive possibility, and then she decided she was ready. All that was left was getting one of her newest pokemon on board. Endora felt a twinge of guilt for not having spent much time with the little bulbasaur since she'd gotten him, but he seemed to be adjusting well and was always happy and active when she had seen him, so she wasn't too worried. This seemed like an excellent opportunity to get herself a little better aquainted with him.

One slight snag remained before she could do so, though. Endora twisted the empty ball in her fingers as she went in search of the dual type, finding him curled up on a pile of pillows enjoying some sun. "Hello, Oleander," the young woman greeted, kneeling down next to him. The bulbasaur blinked his eyes opened and yawned before focusing on her with a soft sound of question. "I'd like to take you to a class with me, but to do so I have to register you to a pokeball. Otherwise, someone might try to steal you from me and there wouldn't be anything I could do about it." His eyes went wide and he made an offended sound, his vines coming out to wrap around her leg securely. Apparently he didn't like the idea of being stolen. She couldn't blame him, the little guy seemed to be making friends with her ghost types.

"I'm taking that as an agreement, so I'm going to put you in this nest ball. Once you're registered to it, I'll let you back out." Endora held up the green and yellow swirled pokeball to show him, and the bulbasaur's curiousity had him sniffing it. After a moment, he made a sound of agreement and she gently tapped it against him. A flash of red, and he was gone. The ball didn't put up much of a fight as it quickly cycled through the capture process. Before she could count to ten, it had dinged it's success and she felt her pokedex vibrate in her purse to indicate it was updating his information.

She tapped the button again, Oleander reappearing in his pile of pillows, and nodded her head in satisfaction. "All done. No one can take you now. Time to go." As she spoke, she recalled the ball and placed it in her bag, then pushed to her feet. Oleander stood beside her, and soon the two were walking down the path to the designated classroom.

A quick glance around had her raising her eyebrows curiously. There were two people here that she assumed were the teachers, but other than them and their pokemon, the room was empty. Only three stations had been set up, and she noticed that each one had a nametag. Spotting hers was easy enough, but why were there so few? Had not many people signed up for the class? Well, at least she wouldn't have to worry about a bunch of bystanders suffering smoke inhalation when she burned something.

"I'm warning you now," Endora said by way of greeting as she walked to her table. "I am very bad at this. I hope you have a fire extinguisher on hand." She didn't bother watching the pair's response, simply lifting Oleander up onto the spot cleared away for him so that he could see what they would be up to. "Here, this is a poffin," she told him, picking up the item from the display. She assumed they were for her, considering they were set out like a snack tray. So she pinched off the very edge of one before handing the rest over to her companion. "This is what we're hopefully learning how to make today. I'm going to need your help, so pay close attention."

Oleander took the offered poffin and sniffed it. When his human put the small piece she'd kept in her mouth, he did the same. She didn't seem impressed by it, but he couldn't say the same. The bulbasaur immediately chirped happily at the flavor. This is really good! We're going to make more of these? Do I get to eat them afterwards? Poffins are yummy!

Bulbasaur is placed in the Nest Ball!
Bulbasaur is named Oleander!

PM
^
Blaine Maddox
 Posted: May 5 2018, 10:20 PM
Blaine Maddox
19 || he/him
19 years old
Student Breeder
Dark-types
jay
is Offline.

For once, Blaine had thought ahead and planned to be on time for class. What Blaine hadn’t accounted for was an uncooperative white eevee hiding under his bed. Despite his pleading with the vulpine pokemon, Eevee would not come out from his hiding spot. Blaine had no idea why the sudden turn of face – he and Eevee had been on good terms lately, so why this? “C’mon, Eevee, I promised the professor you were coming,” Blaine whined into the dark under his bed, trying to guilt trip his pokemon into cooperation.

Eevee flicked his tail and whined again. This attempt, like the others before it, failed spectacularly. Blaine groaned and let his head fall to the floor with a dull thud. “What else could you possibly want? Food? A treat?”

Eevee’s tail stopped moving, the canine’s ears swiveling forward. “A treat? Well, I have one of those beans I gave you a couple of weeks ago.” Blaine had been more excited about the breakthrough to realize that yet another one of his pokemon were extracting bribes from him. Or maybe he was just so used to it already that he didn’t think anything of it. Probably more of the first, really.

Blaine sprung to his feet and went into a desk drawer, pulling out the pouch with the last bean in it. Grabbing the bean from the protective pouch, Blaine came back over to his bed and sat the bean just outside the piece of furniture’s shadow. Without surprise, Eevee slunk out from under the bed. The pokemon sat down daintily, and began to delicately bite at the fruit. Blaine couldn’t help but roll his eyes, but took the chance to grab his backpack and the premier ball for his pokemon.

As soon as Eevee was done eating, Blaine recalled the shiny pokemon and minimized the ball. Stuffing it into his pocket, Blaine turned around and left his dorm room.

- - - - - -

The breeder was pleasantly surprised to find that he was the second person to walk into the classroom. The room looked so empty, even with the extra tables set up and everything. The other student was a person that Blaine vaguely recognized. He’d seen her once or twice in his dorm, hanging out with his roommate. The roommate that was very, very peeved about his murkrow’s ability to get his lighters, despite Blaine’s best efforts to keep her out of his room. It was ridiculous, but Blaine couldn’t really blame Daryn for it, either.

Blaine sat down at the table next to the girl, and released his eevee. The white pokemon arched his back as he stretched. As he leaned out of it, Blaine picked him up and sat him on the table next to him. “We’re here to make snacks today, Eevee! Like I told you about. It’s going to be fun, promise! Here, try this as a sampler,” Blaine picked up the poffin in the middle of the table and offered it to his pokemon, who hungrily pounced on the treat and began eating with gusto. Very different from the pokemon he’d had in his bedroom not fifteen minutes before.

Eevee fed one pokebean! +5% affection [18 > 23]
thanks, bahgs!
PMEmail
^
Arina Aestival
 Posted: May 6 2018, 03:55 PM
Arina Aestival
23 || She/Her
23 years old
Grad Student Coordinator
Fairy
Arina
is Offline.

Arina & Maleficent
http://www.pkparaiso.com/imagenes/xy/sprites/animados/mawile.gif
[@46%]

She was late! It was entirely unacceptable to the Coordy that she show up to class late but here she was. Arina's face was flushed and she was out of breath by the time she got through the classroom door. Bending with her hands braced on her knees to catch her breath, Arina tried to then turn her blunder into a bow of respect. "So sorry I'm late!"

As she looked up, she saw that there was someone else with the Professor and while the Zoroark was in attendance, the second Pokemon was not the Persian. Trying to give them her best smile, Arina made her way toward the worktable with her name on it. Seeing two others already in attendance, Arina nodded politely and her eyes widened as she noted that they both had rare Pokemon partners! Despite both being rare, the Shiny Eevee commanded all of her attention. "Oh wow! That is such an amazing Pokemon you have!"

Taking her seat, Arina pulled out Maleficent's ball and hit the release button. Since she'd slept late and then also been held up by an attempted battle amongst the Pokemon in her dorm room, Arina had figured it would things would be better if she put everyone in their Pokeballs for the day. Now that she was in class and Maleficent was signed up for it, she figured it would be alright for the Mawile to help her as planned. "Alright, Maleficent. We're going to be learning to make Poffins so I expect you to be on your best behavior. If you promise to behave, I'll make sure you have a special Poffin all your own. Deal?"

As the Mawile appeared, she instantly recognized Arina's patronizing tone and huffed in annoyance. Crossing her arms, the Mawile turned away from the Coordy but continued listening for anything she might say that was actually interesting. Making Poffins? A special treat? She could get behind that. Maleficent also caught a whiff of the snacks being presented on the table. They smelled absolutely delicious and if they were making anything similar, she'd definitely help if it meant more for her! "I'll help you but only if you give me all the treats we make!"
PMEmail
^
Daryn Cleary
 Posted: May 7 2018, 04:01 PM
Daryn Cleary
22 || he/him
22 years old
Coordinator Coordinator
Twitchy
is Offline.

http://www.pkparaiso.com/imagenes/xy/sprites/animados-shiny/ditto.gif
Ditto
Lv. 5 - 0/5 EXP
Nature: Jolly || Ability: Imposter
Transform
20% http://files.jcink.net/uploads/alakaiuniversity/20.png
10% http://files.jcink.net/uploads/alakaiuniversity/B10.png
[Salmon.]

“Medium Orchid.”

Oh God he was going to be late. He was going to be fucking late. He had signed up for the wrong day and now here he was, rushing with an arm that was just recently taken out of the cast which he had been mildly sedated for because of the twitches and was just coming out of it. He had scheduled the days wrong and it had led to this very very terrible time management issue. And dammit he really hoped the pain pills were going to hit in sometime because damn his arm was starting to hurt a little bit, and was it always this pale? Seriously, he looked like a mummy that had another arm put on him because the difference in tones? Totally not good. He was pale, ya, but not thatpale.

Daryn stumbled, barely finding the classroom. He caught his breath outside of the classroom, checking his phone quickly. He had sent a picture earlier of his dirty and broken off cast to Endora, excited to have it off finally.

Well fuck. There was three people that he actually [i[knew[/i]. Endora was actually in the class. So was his roommate...Well that was interesting. And then there was Arina, who he’d met at the cafe with Endora before. At least there weren’t any birds, especially that little thief of a bird.

Finding his nametag was easy, and he settled in the table behind Endora, greeting her. He had signed up asking to be sat in the back, worried that his twitches would have thrown off the other students or brought too much attention to himself. He twitched again, looking at the pokemon and the teacher...teachers. There were two relatively big ones that were...eating a lot of snacks. He poked at the cupcake at his table and the juice. Straw...did he remember to bring that straw Endora gave him? He searched through his bag, pulling out Ditto’s pokeball and the metal straw that he’d been given.

He sipped at the drink with his straw, biting down on it a bit in a twitch. At least he hadn’t crushed it, and it wasn’t doing bad at its job either. Speaking of…

“B-Brought th-the di-ditto,” he said to Endora, releasing the pokemon. The blue blob only remained a blob while it yawned before trying to shift and morph into...what a surprise. A mimikyu. Instead of a yellow, cloth, however, Ditto had a bright blue one with...well...strange markings that should resemble a face? They needed to work on that.

“Cl-Closer tha-than before,” Daryn said, pushing the plate with the poffin on it towards Ditto.

[Cloooser~ Closer to be like mama and papa!] Ditto sang.

“S-So um-um...pof-poffins? Ri-Right?” he asked, seeing that the teachers were still talking with one another and hadn’t actually started.
PM
^
Pryde de Leon
 Posted: May 7 2018, 08:13 PM
Pryde de Leon
|| he/him
years old
Student Professor
Pryde de Leon
is Offline.

http://www.pkparaiso.com/imagenes/xy/sprites/animados/zoroark.gif
Yuu
[Royal Blue.]

http://www.pkparaiso.com/imagenes/xy/sprites/animados/ursaring.gif
Kenai
[Sienna.]

Patience: “Deep Pink.”

Pryde: “Purple.”

“Oh, I’m sure you won’t need it all! Have some faith,” Patience said, trying to reassure the young woman. She continued to wait as the other students started filing in, two of them a little late, but that was alright. “Does that always happen?

“Yes. But I’m sure we can start now. Class. My name is Professor de Leon. Today we have--”

“Hello! My name is Patience Varga, and I’m Pryde’s older sister! I’m a poffin maker, in charge of Gyönyörű Cukor, a poffin making company that started from just a little bakery. If any of you have bought poffins, you probably have bought one of mine!”

“So, a little about my background! Knowing the background of your teachers is always important to develop some trust, right? Right. So, my mother was the one who taught me and my siblings how to make poffins. She owned a little shop in Agate Village, and used only our father’s berries that we grew on the farm,” Patience said. She opened up a presentation, clicking to the first slide--a picture of Pryde, his siblings, and his parents.

Pryde grimaced. “Patience…”

“So here’s my family! Just a cute little picture of all of us. I mean, not all of us. There’s 27--wait, no, 29. Right? Yes, 29 different nieces and nephews. Family reunions are terrible. Anyways, Pryde and I are the only ones that really make poffins, although Humility and Luxuria sometimes make them, but it’s not really their best work,” Patience said. “Let’s see, there’s Chasity, Temperance and Charity--twins--and then there’s Diligence, my twin. There’s Atifa, single child just like Chasity and Pryde, actually. Then Humility, Luxuria, and Gula--triplets. Avarita and Acedia are twins, and then there’s Ira and Envy. And last we have Pryde. Bonus points to anyone if they can figure out our parents’ naming scheme.”

“A terrible naming scheme,” Pryde muttered under his breath.

“You may be asking what exactly this has to do with poffins--”

“It doesn’t,” Pryde muttered, checking over his information. He’d printed out some spare sheets of recipes for his students, not expecting them to take a lot of notes.

“It matters because inspiration for flavor profiles can come from anywhere, including family. Take Pryde’s cupcakes--the ones you have on your desk. They have a black cherry filling, a flavor he himself would never even use before he got married. But, since his husband loves black cherries, he makes cupcakes sometimes with them. Making poffins is the same way. Even if you’re a vegetarian or a vegan or allergic or what have you, pokemon may have likes totally different from yours! It’s important to take these ‘family members’ for inspiration.”

Pryde placed a sheet of paper on each of the four different desks. “Experimenting with different flavor profiles is difficult when starting out, so we’ve prepared several different options for you already.”

“Alright, so as you can see,” she started, clicking and showing the next pictureo n the slide, “Poffin making has some easy to follow steps! First, berries need to be boiled down with either a cup of milk or a cup of water for every two berries that you use. Make sure to wash your berries very well. Some berries may also require some cutting, so make sure to have a good knife. For very firm berries like a Coba berry or Lum berry, you may need to cut them to help them reduce. However, since they are so firm, it can be a little difficult. What I like to do is macerate the firmer berries for a bit in the liquid of choice, then carefully take them out to cut them into smaller pieces. Replace the firmer berries back into the pot. For very soft berries, a few cuts should do the trick--but be careful of losing any juice. Add firmer berries first to the pot to ensure that the soft berries don’t burn.”

“Now, using water or milk is up to you. I prefer using coconut milk which helps bring in some creaminess to the poffin, but milk will make a more cake textured poffin while water will make it crispier. For pokemon like ditto, like yours, that have less sharp teeth, a cake like texture is better. Eevee or mawile, however, may prefer to have a firmer texture because of their canines. For pokemon like your bulbasaur, it’s more up to personal preference, since they’re more ‘inbetween,’” Pryde added. “The fridge has soy, cocount, various percentages of milk, as well as almond, although you, Mister...Maddox, should not use the almond milk or coconut milk. It can cause some gastrointestinal issues, although this doesn’t always happen. Yuu, for example, prefers almond milk while coconut milk gives him a stomach ache.”

Patience clicked on the next slide. “Now, after your berries are macerated--boiled down--you’ll need to use half a cup of flour and one egg for every two berries that you have. Take the pot off of the heat and put it onto one of the warmer pads. Granted, I usually add an extra egg in there to add some more ‘fluff,’ but that’s not required. Although you can add all of these ingredients together at the same time, I like to do something a little different. Now, most of my pokemon like cake-like poffins, which is why this works. I seperate the egg whites from the yolk and then whip the egg whites. A splash of heavy cream is also added, but just a splash. Then I slowly fold in the berry juice and egg yolks. Once it’s folded and mixed well, add the flour, sifted.”

“You can add in extra flavors during this step or anywhere in the next few steps. If you’d prefer to have a burst of flavor, fill the cupcake pan halfway, add in the extra flavoring, and then top it off with some more poffin mix. You can also just mix the ingredients in. Another option is to macerate the ingredients with the berries, such as little slices of pepper if you’re making spicy poffins.” Pryde leaned against the counter, looking over the students.

“Bake the poffins for about 15 minutes at 350. Make sure they’re done all the way through by poking them with a toothpick. If it comes out clean, you’re good! Then you can decorate your poffins after they’ve cooled off, but that’s totally optional,” Patience said, finishing up. “So, go ahead! Pryde and I will help out if you ask, and we’ll be sure to keep the fire extinguisher handy. Oh, I’m just teasing. I’m sure none of you will need it,” she said, joking.

Pryde held up the fire extinguisher. “Rather be prepared.”

Due to the delay and addition of daryn that I pushed in due to time which made pushed posting a bit I’m giving an additional 2% beauty to Arina, Endora, and Blaine’s pokemon.

Here’s a quick link to the berries! You get two of each kind!

ENDORA’S BERRIES

2x http://www.serebii.net/itemdex/sprites/figyberry.png - Figy
2x http://www.serebii.net/itemdex/sprites/starfberry.png - Starf
2x http://www.serebii.net/itemdex/sprites/cheriberry.png -Cheri

BLAINE’S BERRIES

2x http://www.serebii.net/itemdex/sprites/blukberry.png - Bluk
2x http://www.serebii.net/itemdex/sprites/magoberry.png - Mago
2x http://www.serebii.net/itemdex/sprites/grepaberry.png - Grepa

ARINA’S BERRIES

2x http://www.serebii.net/itemdex/sprites/occaberry.png - Occa
2x http://www.serebii.net/itemdex/sprites/tangaberry.png - Tanga
2x http://www.serebii.net/itemdex/sprites/hondewberry.png - Hondew

DARYN’S BERRIES

2x http://www.serebii.net/itemdex/sprites/durinberry.png - Durin
2x http://www.serebii.net/itemdex/sprites/cobaberry.png - Coba
2x http://www.serebii.net/itemdex/sprites/nanabberry.png - Nanab
PM
^
Arina Aestival
 Posted: May 13 2018, 09:11 AM
Arina Aestival
23 || She/Her
23 years old
Grad Student Coordinator
Fairy
Arina
is Offline.

Arina & Maleficent
[@46%]

The Coordy was relieved that her lateness did not appear to be a big hassle since she hadn't actually missed any material...this time. Arina was still mentally berrating herself over letting herself get into this mess. She was determined to prevent a repeat. She toned down her inner monologue when the professor started speaking but she had to cover her mouth to keep from laughing out loud as the "guest speaker" interrupted Pryde and took the reins on class direction. Arina looked at the picture slides curiously. She couldn’t help from grin as the large family reminded her so much of what it felt like in the Nouveau Cirque. A sharp stab of homesickness mixed with nostalgia threatened to make her start crying but she quickly bit her lip to get a handle on her emotions.

Arina had been paying close attention but when she heard "bonus points" it was like a lightbulb went off in her mind. She'd heard a few names and as she put that together with their word roots, she had a guess of what the naming scheme had been. She raised her hand and offered her guess. "Is the naming scheme Virtues and Sins?"

As the class turned back to the subject at hand, Arina thanked Pryde for the recipe sheets and glanced over them as she kept her main focus on the lecture. Hearing that the offered cupcakes were Black Cherry, her expression turned to one of delight. She loved cherries! Arina turned and whispered to Maleficent. "Hey, I'm going to have one of these cupcakes. There is a Poffin here too. Would you like to have it?" The Mawile had been looking bored this entire time and had sat in her chair in pouting protest but the offer of a poffin had her attention. After pouring a cup of juice and selecting a cupcake, Arina delicately dropped the Mawile's poffin into her eagerly open maw.

"Mmmmmmmm... This is great."

Arina savored each bite of her cupcake as they were given the run-down of how to actually work the berries into poffins. She tried to take thorough notes but was not quick enough to get all of the information. The Coordy just hoped that she could put everything she did get to good use for the sake of her Pokemon. Arina also made sure to jot down the extra ingredient options so that she could get some variety in her personal practice since not all of her Pokemon liked the same types of flavors.

As the lecture portion ended and they were given the green light to begin, Arina went back over her notes to compare the options for starter liquid. "Hmm...do you like softer cake texture enough to want your treats like that, Maleficent?"

The Mawile considered the question and then shook her head. "Soft is fine but I like more bite to my food."

The head shake and tone were indicative of a different preference so she tried to be more specific. "Do you want them sort of like a cookie, softness inside with crisp outside..." Arina held out her left hand in a fist. "...or would you rather have a crisper texture throughout?" She held her right fist out on this phrase so that the Mawile could choose her preference by choosing a fist.

The Mawile touched her left fist, so Arina made a note and then raised her hand. "What liquid base would be the best option to get a poffin texture that is between cake and cookie?"
PMEmail
^
Arina Aestival
 Posted: May 13 2018, 12:39 PM
Arina Aestival
23 || She/Her
23 years old
Grad Student Coordinator
Fairy
Arina
is Offline.

Arina & Maleficent
[@46%]

Armed with the best choice of liquid base, Arina filled the pot with three cups of skim milk and set the stove to bring it up to a boil and started the oven to preheat to 350 degrees. While waiting for the liquid to heat to boiling, Arina put all of the berries into a large colander and put it next to the sink. Drawn by the berries, Maleficent climbed up next to the colander and was going to grab one of the delicious looking Tanga berries but Arina quickly pulled it away. The Coordy then set the colander on the other side of the sink from the Mawile and put a smaller bowl of Chipotle peppers in front of Maleficent. "Do not eat these berries! These are for the Poffins but I do want you to try one of those peppers before we add them."

Maleficent sniffed at the peppers before picking one up and tossing it into her jaws. She munched on that one and then grabbed another to eat. Before she could grab a third, Arina pulled the bowl away laughing.

"Okay, I take it you like that flavor. Good. We'll wash these with the berries and add them to flavor the poffins too." After washing all of the berries and peppers, Arina noticed that the pot was now at a rolling boil. Consulting her berry chart and notes, Arina put in the two Occa berries and set the timer for 10 minutes. During that time, Arina used the knife and carefully cut up the Hondew berries into small chunks without losing too much juice. Since they were hard berries, it was difficult but Arina figured out the amount of pressure needed to cut through and was able to get them down to relatively small chunks. She also sprayed the cupcake pan with non-stick cooking spray.

When the timer went off, Arina fished the Occa berries out carefully with a ladle and then cut them up the same way she did the Hondew since they were now about the same hardness. Slicing up three of the Chipotle peppers, Arina added all of the pieces back to the pot and set the timer for five more minutes. During this time, she carefully cut up the very soft Tanga berries and tried to conserve as much of their juices as possible. Then, she measured out 1 ½ cup of flour and three eggs in advance.

Once the timer went off again, Arina added the Tanga pieces and juice to the pot and set it for a final five minutes. Taking her eggs, Arina cracked each one into a small bowl and made sure to remove any stray piece of egg shell and then whipped them with a small amount of heavy cream so that they would be ready for the next step. As the timer went off again, Arina turned the stove off and removed the pot to a warmer pad as instructed. Using a silicone spatula, the Coordy folded in the eggs to the berry juice. Realizing that the Mawile hadn't had much to do, Arina felt a bit guilty. "Maleficent, I've got to sift the flour into the pot now. Would you keep the pot mixture stirred for me while I do that?"

Arina took another minute to make sure that Maleficent would be able to stir the mixture as needed and then she sifted the flour slowly into the pan. She allowed the Mawile to continue stirring in order to thoroughly mix all of the ingredients. Once all the ingredients were incorporated enough to be a batter-like consistency, Arina took the pot from the Mawile and carefully poured the mixture into each well until they were a little more than half full to give the poffins room to rise.

Now that the poffins were ready to bake, Arina put them into the preheated oven to bake for 15 minutes. While they baked, the Coordy and Mawile worked together to wash up the dishes and clean up the mess. As the timer went off, the Mawile perked up and watched intently as Arina inserted a toothpick into the center of each poffin. A few came back out a bit gooey, so the Coordy put the pan back into the oven for an additional minute to cook. The second round of toothpicks came out clean so Arina set the pan on a cooling rack for inspection.

Maleficent was eyeing the newly baked poffins so strongly that the Coordy was afraid the Mawile would literally pounce on them. "Okay, now that they are done, we have to let them cool properly before tasting." At this announcement, the Mawile set about glaring at Arina until she was not quite sure that Maleficent wouldn't just try to nab them all at any moment. Perhaps this class had been the best way to attempt to make poffins for the first time...more chance of safety in numbers.

Per Justice:
-Patience replied to Arina's guess about the naming scheme: Correct
-Patience also answered her question: Using half milk/half water or skim milk would be best for liquid base in addition to not beating the egg whites separately.
PMEmail
^
Daryn Cleary
 Posted: May 15 2018, 01:31 PM
Daryn Cleary
22 || he/him
22 years old
Coordinator Coordinator
Twitchy
is Offline.

Ditto
Lv. 5 - 0/5 EXP
Transform
[Salmon.]

“Medium Orchid.”

Daryn looked over the piece of paper, making note of all the steps, and trying to think of things his grandma always did whenever she was cooking. He wrote scrawled notes on it as well, listening to the teachers with the fucked up names. He had a feeling they would get along well--with the N/A and kids literally named “Pryde” and “Envy.” What? Couldn’t find fancy little names for them too? He twitched again, nearly ripping the paper.

Ditto wasn’t caring about what was going on. Ze’d much rather start eating the berries. But...there was the other treats on the plate still...Ze started to stuff zer face again, grinning with a full mouth.

“E-Eat sl-slow,” he whispered, making sure he had all the notes down before looking toward the basket of materials. He grimaced, though, when he picked up the berries.

Someone was out to get him, he knew it. These berries felt like a rock. Well, limestone level of rock but it was still a rock. Okay. Stop over thinking it. Start slow. Daryn picked up the berries, finding a strainer on one side of the set up. He put the berries in the strainer, grabbing paper towels. Clean. They needed to be clean first.

“D-Di--Dit….H-Hey. D-Do you li-like the nam-name DiDi?” Daryn asked the ditto.

Ditto tilted zer head, confused for a moment. Buuut...Alright. Ditto nodded zer head. DiDi sounded like a good name.

“G-Good. DiDi. St-Start the wa-water?”

DiDi, given a sense of responsibility, started the water, a large gush of water. [Weeee! It’s just goooinng and going and goiiinnng!] DiDi giggled.

Daryn grinned, twitching again and almost dropping the strainer of berries. He made sure the water temperature was alright before starting to wash the berries with a strange looking scrubbie. It was getting it all clean, though, so that had to be a positive. Drying them took more effort, making sure he didn’t scratch the skin of it...although he doubted that would even be possible. Once dried, he put them back in the strainer, heading back to his station...only to realize that the stems were still on the berries.

Daryn groaned, rubbing his face and taking a deep breath before muttering to himself as he desetemmed the hard berries. “Fu-fucking fu-fuck, stu-stupid ass b-berries.”

DiDi giggled again. [Naughty words, naughty wooordds!]

Daryn swore again as he nearly hit himself with a stem, grabbing a spoon to make sure he got out all of the nasty stem. A google search on his phone--one with a secure case thanks to Dory--told him he should have gotten it all for each of the stems. Once sure, he went back to the strainer, washing the berries once again.

After drying them, again, he set them down on his station. Heading to the fridge, he searched through all the different types of milk. Gah. He finally decided on the coconut milk, grabbing some measuring cups. How many cups was it? After a quick check to his notes, he added three cups of coconut milk, making sure to add that extra little bit. She had said to add a little bit if he wanted a certain texture, and he figured it was better to go for the cake texture.

What was it his grandma always said? A pinch of salt will bring out the flavor? She always added salt to his cookies when making them, so poffins had to be the same way, right? And it was on the table with their boxes. To be safe, he only added a tiny pinch of the pink salt shit that they had, stirring it in. He set the heat on medium, keeping on eye on it. Watched pot never boiled, his ass. It’d boil just fine.

Ditto named DiDi.
Wash berries
Dry berries
Get rid of stems
Wash berries
Dry berries
3 cups of coconut milk started to boil
Added a pinch of ground Himalayan Sea Salt
PM
^
Endora Wilkerson
 Posted: May 15 2018, 02:28 PM
Endora Wilkerson
23 || She / Her
23 years old
Grad Student Coordinator
Poison / Ghost
Bahgera
is Offline.

• Oleander
    Lv. 07
    Chlorophyll

For all of a few minutes, Endora thought this might go halfway decently. And then her optimism came plummeting down like the heavy boulder it was. That voice. Damn it, this was not happening. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, praying to whatever god would listen that she'd simply imagined Daryn's voice right behind her. Yet, naturally, when she opened them again and turned around, there he was. Of course. For half a second she was amused by the way she sounded like the head alien from Lilo and Stitch, but then her lips tugged down in a worried frown. Hadn't he just been getting his cast off? What was he doing here? And why, oh why, did he have to be in this class, right now, with her? She couldn't have cared less what the other people in the room thought of her admittedly atrocious cooking skills, but as with everything else that was different around this one person.

Endora was, dare she even admit the words in her thoughts ... Nervous.

Maybe even, possibly, embarrassed. Not that she could be sure. She wasn't familiar with the emotion, but she could hazard a guess.

"Hello, Daryn," she greeted, steeling herself against the flood of unwanted and uncomfortable feelings. So what if he was bound to witness her making a fool of herself. Not everyone could be talented at everything. Right? Right.

There was just enough time to take in his ditto's attempt at a mimikyu before the two professors decided it was time to start class and she had to pull her fluttering thoughts together.

She could do this. She could absolutely do this. She could...

Not do this.

Endora stared down at the recipe in front of her as if it were a scorpion that had slithered into her shoe. What in the world were these people talking about? Going on and on about a family with a horrible naming schematic. As if naming a child after greed and gluttony were exceptional ideas. Talk about condemning a child to a certain role in life.

Things didn't get any better as they got down to the actual instructions for the class. Macerate? What did that even mean? "English please!" the coordinator muttered, not bothering to keep her voice down as she did. Instead she pulled her phone to her and praised whoever invented the internet for Dictionary.com.

To soften or separate into parts by steeping in a liquid. Well, why the hell hadn't they just said that? There was no need to flout their knowledge of the topic in such pompous ways. At least the rest of the instructions were laid out in easy to understand terms, even if there was a mountain of it dumped on at once. By the time they were done discussing, the recipe sheet they'd been given looked like a mass of scribbles. Most of it was in Endora's neat script, but there were occasional scratch throughs, question marks, and underlines that would have made it impossible for anyone but herself to decipher.

Before she did anything, Endora glanced up to find that the male professor had a fire extinguisher in hand, and she nodded. "An excellent idea." She really wasn't jesting about the fire hazard, so it was a good thing at least one of them were taking this seriously.

PM
^
Endora Wilkerson
 Posted: May 15 2018, 03:04 PM
Endora Wilkerson
23 || She / Her
23 years old
Grad Student Coordinator
Poison / Ghost
Bahgera
is Offline.

• Oleander
    Lv. 07
    Chlorophyll

Reaching for the recipe, Endora hesitated. They hadn't even started cooking yet and she was already beginning to second guess the information. Was she supposed to put the berries in the pot with the liquid and then boil it, or was she supposed to boil the liquid and then put the berries in? Did it matter? She contemplated for a moment, and then decided to go with what she knew. Any time she cooked pasta or boiled eggs, it was always with the instructions to bring the water to a boil and then add the food. So that was what she was going to do.

Only, was she using water? Apparently her pokemon could go either way, unlike the rest of the students here. Of course, her's would be the difficult one. Turning to Oleander, she caught him stuffing the last bit of a cupcake into his mouth. "I take it you like the cakes, then?" she demanded, brushing away the few crumbs that were left.

The bulbasaur nodded enthusiastically. Yummy! These are good! We should eat them all the time!

Endora's lips pursed as she watched him. Though the language barrier stood, his nodding was certainly easy enough to understand. "Would you like to try making a firmer sort of poffin? More crunchy?"

Her pokemon considered, then slowly shook his head. He liked what he had just tasted and was eager for more of it.

Milk it was then. Now she just had to figure out what kind. "Stay here," she instructed before heading over to the fridge. On the way she passed Daryn, and reached out to lightly touch his shoulder by way of acknowledgements before studying the cold box's contents. Considering her pokemon was a grass type, she discarded the idea of animal products, so that left the regular milk out. She couldn't stand the smell of coconut, so that was a no go as well. Which left the soy and almond milk. With the vague incline that soy milk wasn't as good to cook with, whether that was true of a figment of her imagination she had no idea, the almond milk came out as the winner.

Choice in hand, Endora returned to her table and took a deep breath. So much for the easy part. At least she couldn't really mess up with the measuring. One cup of milk per two berries was easy enough to understand, and in a moment she had the three cups in the pot and was warming them. This, she knew from experience, would take patience. While she'd only cooked with cow's milk before this, the memory of scalding, curdled concoction instead of a smooth hot chocolate made her tap down on any impatience to crank the heat up. An easy boil keep the milk for burning, and that would be enough to cook the berries.

Hopefully.

While the liquid was heating up, she turned her attention to the berries themselves. While four of them seemed soft and pliable enough, she might have mistaken the last kind for a piece of concrete had it not been for the green color. Those were the ones she scrubbed first, holding them out for inspection to Oleander when she was done. When they were deemed dirt free by the grass type - he would know - she dropped them into the luke warm liquid. It couldn't hurt to heat them up slowly, and they needed all the time they could to soften before she could even begin to think about cutting them into chunks.

The others were easy enough, though she found herself taking a slower approach to cleaning them so that the delicate skin on the soft flesh wasn't broken. These, at least, she could dig out the stems from while she was waiting, and she offered them to Oleander. The bulbasaur sniffed curiously and after a second of debated gobbled the stems, muffled sounds of pleasure coming out of his full mouth. At least he was enjoying himself.

While they waited for the hot milk to do it's trick with the other two berries, Endora busied herself with the next few steps. One and a half cups of flour needed to be sifted - what did that even do, anyway? - and she neatly set aside the fluffier than before flour in a bowl with three eggs next to it.

It took a few more minutes of mostly patient waiting, but eventually when Endora poked at the hard berries in the pot, the skin gave way to the pressure. It seemed close to what it took to indent the softer berries, so she fished them out.

Time to get started.

PM
^
Endora Wilkerson
 Posted: May 15 2018, 03:47 PM
Endora Wilkerson
23 || She / Her
23 years old
Grad Student Coordinator
Poison / Ghost
Bahgera
is Offline.

• Oleander
    Lv. 07
    Chlorophyll

Were berries anything like meat? She'd watched enough cooking shows to know that you weren't supposed to cut into cooked meat straight away. You had to let the juices settle and soak back into the flesh or something like that. It wasn't as if it could hurt all that much to let them set for a minute. Endora found herself thinking that a lot lately, and she winced at the repeated phrase as she set the starf berries on a towel. The other berries turned out to be just as soft and pliable as expected, giving her no resistance as she dug the tip of the sharp knife into the skin. Of course, just as soon as the skin was pierced, juice began to flood and pool around the blade, so she quickly decided against cutting all the way through. Instead she sliced a few deep cuts intersecting across each and plopped them into the hot milk.

Only lost a few drops of juice. That was good, right?

She was actually feeling rather proud of herself when it came time to cut up the last two berries. They had cooked enough for the skin to be pliable, so she picked up the towel and dumped them on the cutting board. Maybe she could do this after all, she mused to herself, quickly setting about slicing out the stems. If she could master this, then she'd be several leaps ahead in mastering her coordinating ---

"Mother fuck!" The yelp interrupted her thoughts, and it took Endora a second to realize that the sound had come from her. It took her even longer to realize that she'd scrambled back away from the table and was cradling one hand against her chest with the other. Now how and why had that happened?

She inspected her hand, expecting to find that she'd sliced it open instead of the berry, but instead she found it sticky and quickly blossoming a large red blotch across several of her fingers. Apparently the skin had been cool enough to touch, but the juice inside was still boiling hot. Her cutting it open and given it enough room to expand and escape... which it had, right over her fingers. Her hand now sported a nice sized burn, and while she doubted it was dangerous, it sure did hurt.

On instinct, she popped the worst of the burns, the knuckle of her index finger, into her mouth in an effort to sooth the sting. It didn't take her long to realize just how much of a mistake that had been, because there was still the juice to content with. Spicy juice. Endora and spicy did not get along well at all. In seconds, it wasn't just her hand burning, her lips and tongue joined in on the party as well.

The grimace she gave at the taste was horrid, and she made every effort to correct that mistake as quickly as possible by throwing on the cold water tap and shoving her hand beneath it. With the other she grabbed the cup of juice, praying that it wasn't spicy as well, and downed it in a few gulps.

Well, at least her mouth wasn't on fire any more. "I don't know how you can like that stuff," she muttered to Oleander, who was watching the scene with large, owlish eyes. He reached out with his vines and fluttered them over her arm, making noises of distress. "I'm fine, it's just a little burn. Caught me by surprise, that's all." She'd have to go find some neosporin after this though, that was for sure.

PM
^
Daryn Cleary
 Posted: May 15 2018, 04:34 PM
Daryn Cleary
22 || he/him
22 years old
Coordinator Coordinator
Twitchy
is Offline.

Ditto
Lv. 5 - 0/5 EXP
Transform
[Salmon.]

“Medium Orchid.”

It was interesting, Daryn noted, seeing that Endora looked...well, out of her element. He glanced over to Arina, seeing that she seemed to be doing alright, and Blaine...well, he didn’t really care. He glanced up, seeing that the bulbasaur of Endora’s was eating the stems. He still had some, and DiDi wasn’t exactly the type to want them either.

“D-Do-Dory, does Ol-Olean-Ol...Fuck i-it. Ol-Olie wan-want the st-stems?” he asked, pushing the plate of stems closer to where she was. May as well get some use out of them.

DiDi made some sort of chirping noise, pulling Daryn’s attention back to the pot, which DiDi was slowly stirring. He peeked in, seeing the water was boiling nicely. Perfect. Taking the berries, he felt which one was the hardest. Daryn twitched again, nearly sending one of the berries to the ground but catching it in just enough time.

He frowned as he felt them, noticing that both the durin and nanab berry felt the same. The Coba, on the other hand, felt sort of harder than them. Coba first, then. He carefully used a pair of tongs, going slow so his twitches didn’t just plop the berry in, which would probably hurt. Or maybe not--who knows? He’d been given a pretty good pain pill today.

“L-Let it si-sit a bit, Di-DiDi.”

DiDi nodded, starting to play with the wooden spoon instead. Daryn rolled his eyes, grabbing an extra clean spoon and keeping it away from DiDi. He didn’t want to risk having extra little...ditto spit in the poffins. Probably not the flavor he was going for. Not at all.

Daryn peeked into the pot again, turning the berry. He pressed the tong against the skin of the berry, seeing that it seemed to be about as hard as the others still. That was good. He waited about as long as he had for the first side before adding the other two berries in, letting them soak in the boiling liquid.

While they soaked, Daryn started the second search. He knew what would happen if he tried to take the berries out of the pot--he’d burn himself, drop them on the floor, and make a disgrace of himself. Like he normally did. So no, he would not be doing that. Instead, he looked through the drawers, finally finding what he was looking for. He’d seen his grandma use it before for mashed potatoes, but it was the same thing for these right?

He came back, turning the berries again with the tongs and testing the flesh of the berry. Alllmost. He wasn’t a patient person, but he had to make himself patient this time. So patient he would be. Five minutes of patience, if he had timed it correctly. Pressing the tongs into the berries, he could tell that he was in fact correct. Perfect. Taking the masher, or whatever the fuck it was called, he started to mash the berries while in the pot, just enough to let them cook and simmer better.

Pleased with how they looked now, the milk turning an, admittedly, slightly strange color that he attributed to the berries, Daryn turned instead to the box, which had some bitter flavorings in it. Or maybe not all were bitter?

“DiDi, c-can you sti-stir those? Slo-Slowly, and only on-once in a li-little bi-bit, okay?” he added, giving zer the new spoon. After watching, making sure DiDi was stirring slowly while pausing, Daryn again turned to the other spices and what not. He found a strange jar, taking some of its contents out and tasting it. He blanched, but it was bitter. That was alright. But maybe not a whole bunch…

The teaspoon was too big, but a little searching found him an even smaller spoon. He took the tiny measuring spoon, adding a little of the...minced ginger? Minced ginger. That was it, and DiDi was stirring it in. Another peek in the box showed him a lemon and a lime. He didn’t think adding citrus was a good thing.

Maybe it was just something his grandma had told him to make sure he didn’t drink too much milk--or maybe that was a different superstition. Mixing milk and lemon or lime juice made it curdle. She’d even shown him, and said that it made you sick. Probably should stay on the safe side. But...it would add some extra flavor. Finding a grater wasn’t difficult, although he was a little more hesitant now.

Deal with it, he told himself. Just a fucking grater. He took the lime first, putting the grater on a plate and scraping some of the skin off of the lime, careful not to catch his skin. Successful, he did it with the lemon, all too happy to toss the grater in the sink once he was done with it. He poured the little bit of lemon and lime zest into the batter, seeing that the berries were still pretty much in tact. No wonder they were told to mash it. Still, he put the concoction on simmer to let it slowly marinate and to let himself get composed for the next parts to come.

“Ke-Keep sti--”

The sound of Endora swearing made him drop the tongs to the ground, and he was surprised to find her cradling her hand. He quickly scrambled, reassuring DiDi that it was okay and to just keep stirring, overhearing her telling her pokemon it was a burn.

“B-Burn...burn…” Daryn rooted through his bag, finding the tiny first aid kit that Endora had given him. He waved away the teacher, already opening up the first aid kit. And then dropping almost everything to the ground in a twitch. Great.

“F-Fuck...bandag-bandages...u-um, shi-shit.” None of those. But he did have this neo thing Endora kept slathering on his cuts and any open skin he had. “H-hand, Dor-Dory.”

Coba in first for a few minutes
Durin and Nanab in
Slow stirs
Turn berries with tongs
Three to five minutes later start to mash berries while in pot
Slow stirs
¼ tsp of minced ginger to pot
Lemon zest to pot
Lime zest to pot
Set pot to simmer with ditto stirring
Helping Dory with the burn
PM
^
Endora Wilkerson
 Posted: May 15 2018, 05:12 PM
Endora Wilkerson
23 || She / Her
23 years old
Grad Student Coordinator
Poison / Ghost
Bahgera
is Offline.

• Oleander
    Lv. 07
    Chlorophyll

Being reassured that she wasn't going to immediately die seemed to calm Oleander down significantly, and it allowed Endora to focus more on her injury. There was a clattering behind her, but she didn't pay that much mind as she pulled her hand from the water and carefully dabbed it dry with the towel. Red, puffy, and quickly changing colors, but she wasn't too concerned. Most likely there would be a few good blisters across her knuckles.

Nothing she hadn't dealt with before. All in all, not terrible. Though she was still a little mystified over what exactly had happened. Perhaps she hadn't let them sit long enough?

The thought of them sitting snapped her back to the fact that she hadn't put them in the pot. One berry was fairly ruined, the juice having long since leaked out all over the cutting board. The other one hadn't been cut into, though, and it had been left alone for several minutes while she dealt with her hand, so it was probably safe to use. Hopefully. Maybe. It wasn't as if a slightly cooler berry could make things much worse, right?

With her uninjured hand - thankfully it was her left that got burned - she stabbed the berry through with the knife so that the juices could leech out, then scraped the knife into the pot, allowing the skewered berry to drop in with the others.

Daryn's voice suddenly beside her made Endora squeak, dropping the towel as she whirled around to find him right next to her. Hand? What about it? Her brows furrowed in confusion until she noticed the small tube he was holding and the scattered supplies on the floor. Ahh, that must have been what she heard falling before.

"I'm alright," she assured, lips quirking in amusement. Wasn't this usually the other way around, with her demanding to take care of him? Either way, she didn't protest as she held out her injured hand for his inspection.

PM
^
Daryn Cleary
 Posted: May 15 2018, 05:44 PM
Daryn Cleary
22 || he/him
22 years old
Coordinator Coordinator
Twitchy
is Offline.

Ditto
Lv. 5 - 0/5 EXP
Transform
[Salmon.]

“Medium Orchid.”

Daryn was going to have to bring up the squeak--an actual literal squeak that again, no one would have expected from her--that she did later, after making sure that she was alright. It wasn’t often he got to be the one helping her with an injury. Or ever. Literally. He doubted that this would ever happen again anyways.

“E-Everytime I sa-say that you sa-say that it’s bul-bullshit, so I’m ca-calling that,” Daryn mentioned, looking over the blisters. At least they were clean. Daryn wiped his hand against his shirt, making sure no berry juice was on it before opening the neosporin. He twitched, thankful that the little bit that came out was still connected to the tube, and brushed it gently against the knuckles.

“H-Honestl-Honestly,I’-I’m surprised yo-you’re the one wh-who hurt them-themselves,” he said, telling the truth there. Him? For sure. Arina, maybe, very unlikely. Blaine? He hoped. Endora? Well, he doubted that would happen, and here he was, helping her with blisters. He continued to brush the neosporin, setting it aside and washing off his hands. “Ban-Bandages…F-Fuck, where w-would they b-be...”

He knelt down, going into one of Dory’s side pockets. He knew last time they were together there were some there...He grinned, pulling out some. “C-Creature of ha-habit, r-right Do-Dory?” he teased, pulling the bandages out and wrapping her hand. He peeked over at his pot, seeing that it was still just mush and not actual juice yet like what the instructions wanted. The simmering helped with that he assumed.
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Closed
New Poll